Internet Scams and Fraud
Search4StudentHousing has received reports of an increased number and complexity of scam attempts in the housing market.
Landlords and Students should exercise awareness and diligence to ensure they are entering into a legitimate rental arrangement.
Some things to do to prevent a scam or fraud are:
- Avoid payments for rental properties that you have not physically seen. You or someone you trust should view any rental property you are considering to rent before agreeing to send or make a payment
- Do not send monies to anyone who claims to be out of the country
- Never give out personal financial information
- If you are not comfortable with the information you are being asked by a landlord, it is best to not pursue that particular listing
- If you receive emails from anyone requesting funds for which you have not inquired about a property, do not reply to the email